Jan 11, 2009

chicken curry with gentle spices


This morning at the farmer's market I began to see the slow down of the season. There has been probably one fewer vendor each week, but it has been a natural recession. However, today, two of the vendors I normally count on were gone, probably breaking for a month or two until the next push of California fruits and veggies gets going, but it was a sharp awakening that winter is finally here. I did manage to get a few things: carrots, celery, spinach, apples, grapes and head of garlic for my chicken curry. The remaining ingredients for the week I found at either TJ's, a little market up the street from them, or the or the butcher.

I did notice lots of broccoli and artichokes at the market this morning, along with more greens, swiss chard, rapini, etc. So next week I will focus on recipes that include these items.

Tonight I made a fabulous Chicken Curry from my favorite new cook book The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper, by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift. The recipe, Chicken Curry with Gentle Spices was a yummy Indian like curry, full of flavor, but not too spicy.

(photography by: alison clayshulte)

No comments: